Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mini Series: Chapter II - A New Master Bedroom


Our MASTER BEDROOM has been a loving work-in-progress for four, long years...

Initially, I decorated the room with the decor and furnishings from our previous home.  I did need to purchase new window treatments, however, and custom draperies were not an option.

In 2007, neutrals and solids were the current trend, so I was delighted when I found these deep purple and gold, ready-made panels.  The beautiful damask and striped pattern coordinated perfectly with my existing accent cushions and chair fabric. 


I soon discovered that some great finds are 'too good to be true'. I hadn't taken into consideration the northern exposure of the room, and the heavy window treatments created a dark and uninviting atmosphere.

I added long mirrors to reflect more light, and after rearranging some artwork and accessories, the room felt warmer and more welcoming.

This 'temporary' solution remained in place for over three years...


This past spring, I decided to redesign the room, and finally create a space that reflected my vision of a soft and elegant sanctuary.

My ill-considered draperies were donated to a good cause, and replaced with lovely, silk and suede striped panels I found on sale.


The room instantly became light and serene, and this inspired me to change out the gold decor as well.  Since purple is my husband's favorite colour, the dark plum accents needed to remain a significant element in the design scheme.

I spray painted the lamps, shades, chandelier, picture frames, accessories, and furniture hardware, and repainted the walls and ceiling.


I then sanded, painted and reupholstered the accent chair. A second chair and a few accessories were brought in from other rooms in the house.

Before
After
Using foam core and a discontinued shower curtain, I designed an upholstered headboard that echoed the shape of the lamp shades.

I created new artwork using frames I had in storage, and made accent cushions from the left over chair and headboard fabric.

The black silk, embroidered throw cushions were purchased on a gift card I'd received for my birthday.


With some hard work, a little creativity, and less than three hundred dollars, our MASTER BEDROOM transformation is now complete.  Imbued with soft light and cozy texture, this tailored, traditional space has become our favorite retreat.

I hope this second chapter in my Mini Series inspires you to transform a space in your home.


This design story has been entered in Debbiedoos Newbie Party:
Thanks, Debbie!

And, Home Savvy A to Z's Blog Party:
http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/07/blog-party-2/
Thanks, Erin! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment